Sunday, February 22, 2009

Missing Jeddah

It's 10 degrees outside, and as I'm sitting here shivering, I reflect longingly on my second home in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Mmmm, weather.com says it is a balmy 72 degrees--actually rather "cool" for my desert homeland. Ah, I miss it.

My dad is back there for work, and I miss him. I'm also fighting back jealousy. Saudi Arabia is a captivating, puzzling place--kind of like that odd classmate or friend, the one you couldn't STAND at first, but then miss when he's gone. It's a world you have to be acquainted with, one where you have to learn to forgive much. But once you finally accept it for what it is, you'll find yourself in the arms of a strange but unforgettable lover.

10 Things I Love About The Kingdom:

1. Shawarmas (for those who are not familiar with these delicious creations, I'm sorry. You should be too.)

2. The prayer call. Yes, it's true, shops close five times a day for the selah, but it's one of those unique qualities of Saudi that you grow to love. It really is beautiful, albeit inconvenient.

3. The beach--best snorkelling/scuba diving in the world, after the Great Barrier Reef.

4. The WEATHER. I revel in the 115 degree summertime. The blistering heat is to me a soothing, cleansing thing. :)

5. Covering up with abayas can be a blessing in disguise. You need never worry about an unflattering outfit--it's all covered up. Just choose your shoes wisely--they are all that show.

6. Hummus. Delicious.

7. The close-knit expat community. It's a unique environment where our desperate need for companionship overrides the differences that would have hindered relationships in a normal situation.

8. Dates. Also delicious!

9. The language. I love Arabic. It is my father's native language. I am still studying it, but there is something about the exotic sounds and letters that still thrills me.

10. The lingering elements of Bedouin culture. There is something about the lifestyles and principles of people in Saudi that is still fresh, raw, and basic. It was only a very few years ago that many of these people still lived in the desert, herding camels. Fundamentals like family loyalty, simplicity, and colloquial wisdom still thrive. I love it.

I could write more things to love--and plenty not to love. But for now, I'm in the Central Time Zone, and although my thoughts are with the Saudi sunrise taking place right now, it's time for me to crawl into my cold bed and go to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very...INTERESTING place.

Susie of Arabia said...

I guess I would agree with you on all your points except #4! Having lived in hot, hotter, and the hottest places in my lifetime, I am dying to live in a cooler place! Hope all is well with you.