Sunday, January 4, 2009

Oh, the drama!

I would like to introduce you all to my unique crusade--trying to pry closed minds open just a bit, and doing what I can to promote tolerance, understanding, and diversity. A good way to illustrate this passion in action is to reccount a debate I sparked in my local newspaper a few months ago, beginning with a short letter to the editor, ending in a full column which the newspaper actually requested I write. Here is how it all started:

"MUSLIMS DESERVE RESPECT" By, (ME)

Disgust. Pity. Outrage. These are the most common sentiments Americans express when confronted with images of Muslim women clad in traditional abayas or hijabs.

As “liberated” Western individuals, Americans almost invariably view such garments as symbols of oppression, backwardness and cruelty. However, these attitudes only reveal that cultural misunderstanding remains a widespread affliction.

Although I would never venture to defend such institutions as the Taliban, I am continually disappointed with American misconceptions of Islam. Oppressive regimes like that of Iran or Afghanistan are the exceptions, not the norm, regarding women’s rights in the region.Many women in the Mideast enjoy freedom of dress and employment comparable to Western societies.

Many women wear the hijab out of personal conviction, rather than federal obligation (which is why many continue to cover here, in America).Observing religion or tradition is an honorable pursuit, and these women, and their beliefs, deserve respect and dignity.

A recent Gallup Poll illustrates my point in sobering terms. Researchers asked Muslims what they admire about Americans. They received answers such as “free speech” and “political freedom.”Researchers then asked Americans what they admire about Muslims. The No. 1 answer? “Nothing.” Words can scarcely express the way this information frustrated and saddened me.

________________________________________________________________
Below is the first response to my letter, which I could not respond to, because I was in Morocco with no internet access....
_____________________________________________________________

Disgust. Pity. Outrage. Yes, these are words that can properly be associated with Islam. I have educated myself on Islam. My opinion has not changed (“Muslims deserve respect,” Your Views, July 27).

It is a religion of intolerance. As a Christian, I do not expect other individuals, businesses and cultures to cater to my beliefs and whims.Yet, almost on a daily basis, we read about how Muslims demand accommodations to be made especially for them at businesses, vacation spots, hotels, resorts and other gathering places.Muslims cry about disrespect — where is the respect for my culture and my religion?

Why, even fourth-grade textbooks in Saudi Arabia teach little children that faithful Muslims must hate Jews and Christians.The Saudis are not viewed as Muslim extremists but as mainstream Muslim followers.

We know what the Muslim extremists think — evidence of their contributions to the world are found in graves and devastated cities everywhere. Muslims who complain about disrespect from non-Muslims need to examine themselves and their so-called religion.Is it really a surprise that most Americans, according to research, admire nothing about Islam?
__________________________________________________________________
A second letter appeared two days later, which was more offensive than the first, and more poorly written as well.
______________________________________________________________

This is for Sarah S****** and all those who share her feelings.

Are you not aware that respect is something that one must “earn.” It is not a gift. We are not shocked or disgusted when we see a Muslim woman in her homeland dress. We might ignore or feel sorry for them for remaining a foreigner.

A good example of why we do not throw ourselves at your feet might be the two Muslim women who are suing a business for $10 million because they were turned down for employment. Why? They were turned down for employment because they refused to respect the dress code of the place of employment.

I am certain in your birth country business people have specific rules for employment as well. This situation should not be a surprise. It is also evidence that these Muslim women have made no effort to assimilate into our culture.If they have become U.S. citizens they are not following what is demanded of a “legal” immigrant and the terms they agreed to.

Other groups, i.e. English, Polish etc., all followed our citizenship rules. Becoming a citizen means you have agreed to adopt America as “your new homeland”, no longer a citizen of your place of birth. It means you have learned, or are learning to speak English and using it. Yes you have a wealth of freedoms as an American citizen but you also have the obligation to honor and serve America as you assimilate into our culture.

We are the ones who are rightly disappointed. We expected you to learn to live in our culture. If you came here for a U.S. address, you made a terrible mistake. We have people from many countries who have assimilated into our culture. The key word here is “assimilate”! You cannot come here and ignore our culture. The word “United” should explain that rule. Let me ask you, how many Muslims living in America are in our Armed Forces today defending the freedoms you claim you and yours are enjoying? I don’t know of any. How many public appearances have you and members of your Mosque made where all in attendance publicly denounced those who wish to destroy America? Again, I know of none.

Instead some show their arrogance by sending their young children to be schooled in the old country which we have discovered means learning terrorist beliefs. If you really want to be an American, yes you have to change some of your ways. We think it is worth it. If it is not, there are many standing in line to take your place.

________________________________________________________________
The newspaper emailed me and asked if I'd like to write a full column for the newspaper the following Sunday. My blood was boiling at this point, and I wrote the following response.
_____________________________________________________________

Who would have thought that my simple, 200-word letter would cause such a stir? The steady succession of letters, online feedback, and most recently, a full opinion column, written in response to my article “Muslims deserve respect,” has been astonishing.
Why was I surprised? Simply, I did not expect that so many people would find the seemingly benign statement, “Muslims deserve respect” to be so offensive. I always assumed, perhaps naively, that most Americans shared my belief that ALL members of the human race deserve basic dignity.

Sadly, many responses indicated otherwise.The myriad accusations and declarations that filled Mr. Ham’s column last Sunday, and the earlier letter “Religion of intolerance” left me full of disappointment and, frankly, disgust. On behalf of my Muslim friends, classmates, coworkers, and professors, the deep sting of injustice and misrepresentation touches my heart, too — even as a non-Muslim.

Yes, actually, I myself am a Caucasian, Chicago-born, non-Muslim-American who speaks English, wears her hair uncovered and celebrates Christmas. Indeed, Mr. Ham’s mistaken references to my “birth country,” my supposed mosque and my alleged failure to “assimilate” are truly telling. Why did Mr. Ham assume that I must be an immigrant and a member of a mosque simply because I wrote a short piece defending Muslims’ dignity? Is it that unthinkable that an average American could feel concern about the rights of Muslims? Here, perhaps, may be the most tragic facet of this issue. Are we truly that divided?

Our country has been hurt by adherents to “Islam,” to be sure. However, I did not think it necessary to assure readers that the “Islam” of terrorists is not the Islam practiced by our Muslim-American neighbors. Claims have been raised that Islam is the “only religion that preaches hate and intolerance.” Again, I find this disappointing and somewhat ignorant. No adherents to any belief system desire to be held accountable for what counterfeit “religious” extremists say in the name of their faith! (Is there a single Christian who would identify the “holy” Crusades as Scriptural?)

All I ask is that all people, including Muslims, be judged with fairness and under the American principles of assumed innocence and correct representation. Now I’ll address Mr. Ham’s questions. “How many Muslims … are in our Armed Forces?” he queried, “I don’t know of any.” Ah, but your knowledge is not all-encompassing, Mr. Ham. There are thousands — check your facts. His next question: How many Muslims are publicly denouncing terrorism? “Again, I know of none,” quoth he. Again, try a little research, you’d be surprised. May I recommend visiting MuslimsForAmerica.us? You may find it enlightening.

When I wrote my first article, I had no intention of stirring up controversy. However, the ensuing debate has revealed an ugly reality: prejudice and misunderstanding lurking just below the surface of our “open” society. These seeds of hatred are what should truly frighten and appall us. Mr. Ham was right about one thing — America must remain united. Perhaps the boat does need a little rocking.

No comments: